Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Goodbye, Summer Beautiful


The first day of autumn came with the rain. It was that sort of grey that will become the norm until . . . like next July. But it's okay. Or so I am telling myself that it is. I am thankful that my children can wander out to check the eggs without danger of poisonous snakes and other unpleasant facts that come with living in dessert regions. The rain was just like another adventure to my children as they pulled out their well loved rain coats and galoshes. Their swimming pool became an autumn fishing pond. They played happily while I regrouped, drank in some quiet, and got ready to direct the craziness of all four of them helping with making tomato sauce and real-deal pumpkin pie with our first pumpkin from the garden.

Zeke is very helpful in the kitchen now that he is getting older. He can juice the lemons, make the yogurt with a little assistance, and I keep asking him about the recipes we are following just so that he can practice searching for information, finding it quickly, reading words, reading fractions, etc. He doesn't even know that we're doing school when we're in the kitchen, but we are.

Charis in the kitchen makes me laugh a lot! She cuts up scrap vegetables with butter knives, mixes them with my unused spices and makes all sorts of inedible salads. As she stirs her creations she talks about them with great delight. "This is good for your body and it tastes great! This is so. much. fun."

Anyway! I wandered through the photos the other day . . . reliving some of our summer. Each summer is way more fun than the last. I feel like I did as a kid. Each birthday I would decide "this is a great age, Life could stay this way forever and it would be ok with me." Being 25 with a 5, 3, 2 and 1 year old must be as good as it gets . . . until next year. :-)

 We love the beach!! 

Even Haven adjusted to walking in the sand and water by the end of our week and the beach. 

I turned my back to Haven as I took pictures of Luke and the other kids enjoying the ocean. When I turned back around, this is what was happening . . . 

Haven was taking her nutritional needs into her own hands. :-) 


Earlier in the summer, Luke and I had a chance to take Charis to the zoo and park, just the three of us. The kids love their times alone with mom and dad!


The next day, Zeke went kayaking for his date. We stopped to explore the shore line.


Luke and I went caving, just the two of us. I loved it!! 


The kids probably made 50 frogs into pets by the time the summer was over. Zeke took this little guy swimming . . .


Sometimes we forget that they are 2 and 1. We walk too far, explore too much and wear them out. :-) 


No comments: