Saturday, June 14, 2014

He Answers. Always.

Prayer feels like nearly a new world to me.

Not because I seldom prayed in the past.

But, nearly always, I doubted as I prayed.

If answers did come, I would doubt still . . . wondering if it was coincidence.

But then a wonderful man came into my life. He did not know everything there was to know about Scripture and prayer but he did, simply, believe that God is able.

When I asked him, "How did you know for sure you had been born again?"

His simple answer. "I just, for the first time, really had a strong desire to please Him."

When someone who strongly desires to please God, prays in faith, a faithful God answers.

It's that simple.

Yes, the wonderful man is my husband. The one who I grew to love as I asked him these questions. And I am still amazed at him and the faith and love that he has. But he would be upset about me talking so much about him.

And this is not a post about Luke (though he's one of my favorite topics. :-))

But this is about God.

A swarm of memories now flood my mind as I think of how great a number of prayers have been answered by my great God.

There was a troubled young man whom both Luke and I knew. His parents were "good" parents, though imperfect like the rest of us. Luke started praying each night for this young man. We never had a lot to do with him personally but he was an acquaintance. I watched in utter awe as this young man changed in obvious ways before our eyes.

There was a girl who, through some sad circumstances of death, Luke and I were put in contact with. We went out to dinner with her once to get to know her a little and prayed for an opportunity to share the truth of Christ with her. There were a few short texts and emails after that dinner date and then we sent an email to her bringing up the topic of the gospel. There was no response. For months. I really thought we had offended her and she was turned off big time. Then prayer. Luke and I earnestly prayed each night that she would respond. I struggled to have faith that it would happen. After all, it had been a long time. No one responds to an email two months after the fact, right? Well, she did and she was not offended. And this is now again an open door for the gospel. Another response has been sent back and now we are waiting and praying again.

Charis' birth was difficult for me. When I found out, when Charis was only four months old, that I was pregnant again, I was a little scared about going through that again. Luke started praying that the birth of Eden would be "as pain free as possible." When the midwife arrived only minutes before Eden was born I really could not believe that I was nearly done. I would fear and cringe before contractions only to be utterly amazed that it really was not that bad.

This is such a small sampling of what God has answered for us. Truly.

I finally started praying . . . in faith. I finally really, completely, believed that God delights to answer prayer. That when we desire to please Him and are praying for things that we know will bring Him glory He loves to show us just how great He is. Ashamedly, I was a bit like Thomas. I had to see answered prayer before I started believing. But, like Thomas, God was gracious to me and met me where I was in my unbelief.

Knowing that I did not love God as I wanted to I started praying, and praying and praying that He would give me a love for Him. Each afternoon after laying the kids down for naps I would grab my Bible and determine that I was going to be like that man that Scripture talks about who knocked on his neighbor's door in the middle of the night until his neighbor was so annoyed that he got up to answer the door. I would pray, "I'm not going to stop asking until You give me a desire to desire You God." Of course, this is a journey that will not be finished until I see my Savior face-to-face. But I see change that I know is not me, but Him.

I've gotten less "selective" in what I pray for. I just pray about whatever is in my thoughts, knowing that He may chose to say "no" to my requests. But I have been amazed that He delights to show His love for me, even in the little things.

Going into a crowded post office with a tired baby to get a passport. My thoughts whispered, "Please Lord, could this go quickly and smoothly?" We were in and out of there so fast that, my mom (who was at home with the other children), was in total shock when we got back.

Wednesday evening I pleaded with the Lord for opportunities to share the gospel. Thursday afternoon I was in my drive way, taking pictures of my children enjoying our afternoon down pour as they puddle jumped. A neighbor came walking up as she walked her girl home from school. In a matter of minutes, she asked me some questions that led to a discussion of the Bible. She started asking me pointed questions and explaining that she has been searching, trying to find her "religion." Yes, the Lord let me share the gospel even as a stay-at-home mom to four little children who seldom leaves the house except to shop for food! :-) People are searching. A lot of people are completely without hope and very depressed as they do not understand how they got here, who made them, or what the point of all of this is! Praise God that we know the whole story!

I wonder how often, even as Christians, we forget that God is real.

That when we pray, a real, eternal, loving God hears.

And He answers. Always.


----------------------------

Just some pictures of other blessings that He has given to me :-)

Charis loves the dirt bike AND especially loves her daddy

Luke built me these beautiful boxes to grow a garden in. My kiddos have worked hard with us to fill these up with a top soil, compost, manure mix. Good rich soil. Should grow nutrient rich, better-than-organic vegetables. Ok . . . I'll stop talking about it now . . . it's just that I'm excited. :-) 

These kiddos love working in the dirt.

Haven is the best baby. She hangs out in her stroller while we work. 

Haven's first birthday . . . her smash cake. :-) She was very lady-like about discovering it. 

My laundry partner.






No comments: