Saturday, May 24, 2014

To Build (or break) a Child's Spirit

Found this article on another blog this evening and thought it was good . . .

To Build (or break) a Child's Spirit

I know that I have been guilty of overreacting to my kiddo's failures instead of giving of myself and my emotional energy to see them through to success.

But the Lord in His goodness keeps giving hope, strength and grace to press on and love a little more tomorrow than I did today. He blessed me with parents who praised and loved me. I remember washing dishes on one camping trip and I was a happy camper because I love doing dishes and I really love doing dishes outdoors. My dad smiled at me and said, "You'll make a great wife someday." No one other than a young girl can explain what that does to a girl. Hope. And a drive to succeed in that vision of success. My mom on several occasions told me that I worked well with children. And . . . those two things make up the majority of my days and I have no doubt that they shaped me into who I am. And what I am not? That's all my own fault. ;-)

The Lord gave me some sweet moments this week as a mom. Very practical "nonspiritual" things but things that brought me joy and resulted in thanksgiving.

Eden more-or-less potty trained herself overnight. That is a slight exaggeration. But not much of one. She showed some signs on Thursday or Friday morning and I just jumped in and got Zeke and Charis on board with helping and making a big deal out of how big Eden was. By afternoon she was telling me when she needed to potty and now I really don't worry about her much at all. She tells me . . . takes herself sometimes. I love teaching my children how to do something and see them radiate in the joy of being an overcomer. She just glows and is the sweetest girl you will ever set eyes on. (Yup . . . I am biased but it is also true! :-))

Charis finished mastering bike riding. No train wheels or balance bike but pedals and two wheels. She can start off herself too and loves to ride her bike. Every sunny morning she asks, "Mommy, can I go ride my blue bike?" Her two little braids and smile of success was almost too much for me on Monday when she really got it down as she rode around and around our van while I worked in the garage. I video taped her and bragged on her big time. That evening when we went to the school we ran and chased each other in the field. Then she wanted to go to the play structure area. She pulled on my arm saying, "Come on, my best friend." I hid my smile as I followed her and the Lord clued me in to a little more truth about keeping my little girl's heart.

Ezekiel went out for ice cream because he finished his 100 reading lessons. And he reads like a champ! I find him trying to sound things out all the time.

And . . . no pictures. Because it's late and I'm standing in the kitchen typing quickly on the laptop that has no pictures.

Pictures later! We got some cute ones today. Barefoot children loading dirt into the amazing garden box that my husband built me. Good times of working together.

No comments: