Wednesday, May 13, 2015

When Today Becomes Eternity

Today dawns
Just the same

Same children
Same house
Mostly the same good
Mingled with the same bad

One tomorrow will be the last today
One day death will call
Or my Lord will return in glory

Eternity will stretch on and on
Forever in finality
Never to be changed

The yesterdays then will look so small
The pain will be forgotten
The regret, I fear, will gash at my soul
As I gaze into the eyes of Him who is love

Today is the day of salvation

The day to smile into my children's eyes
The day to look well to how I might serve another
The day to love until I forget myself
The day to trust that He can truly do all things

As time rushes by as water flowing over
It cannot be grasped
The good times will end and others begin anew

Yet He is the same and His years will never fail
I cling to Him as I step through the narrow, unknown way
He is right there
I stay close that I might know the way in which I should walk

The good and hard rush over me
Yet He is there still
Never changing
Always sufficient
Never leaving me alone or without the joy of His presence

Until this path doth end
And then I say goodbye for a time
To the good and to the hard
But it is really just a continuing of my journey

Now I see Him quite well
I weep over how I failed
I am amazed at how weak I was
How earthly minded
How easily shaken
How quickly distracted
How weak in faith

I learn in amazement once again
That He did not want me to be great
But only to trust in His greatness
Only reflect His goodwill and love
Only be so in love with Him that I cannot but speak of Him

Now I rest
And worship
And serve

I enjoy for all eternity
Fellowship unhindered
So sweet
And so greatly undeserved

2 comments:

Karen said...

Some day you should write a book. In your "spare" time! ;-) Thanks for the perspective.

Unknown said...

Nice post. thanks for the shared with us.web development company in islamabad